Educational & Industry Standard Benchmarks: International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
The broad aims of the programme are for learners to:
• function competently in a wide variety of English situations – professional, social, and academic;
• identify and utilise the skills and strategies required for effective language learning;
• develop competence in the four language skills essential to effective communication: speaking, listening, reading and writing;
• be able to cope with the language demands of their main area of study after completing the programme
1. Foundation English
Students gradually develop their ability, from simply understanding and responding to following main ideas and picking out important details in such texts. They should be able to convey their main ideas clearly and grammatically in writing and speaking tasks, and will develop a grasp of new vocabulary words that will enable them to perform writing and speaking tasks suited to specific purposes and their respective majors. Students should be able to communicate with some confidence on matters related to their interests and professional field, and listeners should be able to understand information about business or design topics, identifying both general messages and some specific details in oral discourse.
2. Advanced English - Reading & Writing, Communications
Students will enhance their study skills as well as develop academic research skills, including paraphrasing, synthesising information from multiple sources and referencing using the APA style format. They will also continue to improve on their communications skills in the context of their respective majors, demonstrating increasing confidence in speaking at length on a topic of interest, as well as effectively using a variety of visual aids to enhance their delivery and message. Listeners should be able to understand information about business or design topics, identifying both general messages and some specific details in oral discourse. Finally, students will be trained in IELTS exam-taking strategies, in the event that any should decide to take the international exam.